Bean and Kale Soup
A great powerhouse of phytoestrogens and hormone balancing beans, this protein rich soup can be made in one of 2 variations; ginger spice, or Italian herb, depending on what flavour you’re after. Either way, it’s a creamy, satisfying and nourishing soup. Perfect for a winters day!
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions (small), diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
2 tins of butter or cannellini beans, 400g each (or swop one out for chickpeas), drained
Sea salt and pepper
750ml chicken or vegetable stock (try to use broth)
2 tbsp miso paste (I recommend the Sanchi brand)
50g kale, chard or spinach
1 tsp sea salad (seaweed)
Ginger spice version: add one thumb of fresh grated ginger and ½ - 1 tsp chilli flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
Italian herb version: 1 tsp each of dried oregano and dried thyme
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over a medium heat and cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until soft.
- Next, add in the ginger spice OR the Italian herbs (depending on what flavour you’d like) and mix well.
- Add in the drained beans with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Add in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Once simmering, add 3 ladles of the soup, including the beans, to your blender, along with the miso paste and blitz until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back in the pot. Chop your chosen greens and stir them into the soup until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.